life with the cat lady

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Olathe Is My Homeboy...

I can't even say the word Olathe without some sort of childhood memory popping into my head. From Old Settlers to The Mustache Cup. St. Paul's, Mardi Gras, the Library, Cherry Street, Olathe School of Dance, watching football games at Olathe North, 722 N. Cooper street, Mill Creek Pool, Northview Elementary, that weird rock quarry thing off of K-7....I was convinced that's where the Justice League lived...and Spider-Man. Dancing and singing to Madonna, roller skating in my garage, my childhood best friends, Kyle and Justin, Two Trails Park, going to Taco Bell when it was good food and not being able to even finish a Mexican Pizza, Ponderosa!!! Growing up at my mom's shop, roaming Scarborough Shopping Center. There was that one time I bit a girls hand because she wouldn't share her blocks, 7-11, Olathe Lake, all the parties and my friends. Oh how I love my friends.

I left in 1996 and moved back in 2010. I never wanted to leave to begin with but it's like Regina Spector says..."taking steps is easy, standing still is hard." I missed this place every single day after I moved to North Carolina. Reconnected in 2007 and the rest is history.

I am certain most people feel the same way about their own home towns but I feel like it's entirely possible that Olathe people are the best people ever made. Let's take it a step further and say that Kansas folk are the best folk ever made! I never thought I would leave this state and now I know the only way I will leave again is because I'm headed to Hollywood to accept my multi million dollar deal to be hilarious at all times or if I meet some rich man who says he will build house right smack in the middle of Disney World for me and make me Disney coffee every day. Blah, blah, blah....I will do stuff for him tooooo.

This really is a fantastic town! I am so glad I moved. I spent some time on the streets of Wornall in the KCMO. I dont have a lot of love for that place. You may have had different "Wornall" experiences but all my street had to offer was crack and thugs. And I'm not even kidding. Oh and the occasional drive by. And I'm not even kidding. Oh and that time we raised a baby owl. And I'm not even kidding.

But nevemind all that! O.L.A.T.H.E. back where I belong. Back to the place that built me. I am so grateful for all the people that are a part of my life here. I get to be a part of their lives. Helping with their kids or just hanging out and being around. I am a lucky lady.

I have made so many changes in my life since 2010 and I do believe I have put in the work but this town is still building me and deep down that's probably why I really came back!

#OlatheIsMyHomeboy

All the love, Jenn


No comments:

Post a Comment