life with the cat lady

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

An End Of An Era....

So I finally watched the last 4 episodes of Mad Men. Since hundreds of people (2 people) have asked my opinion...I am here to share it with you. First let me say big ups to the massive KS convo in these last few shows. If they talked about it before this much...I have forgotten. Probably because I drink heavily and smoke cigarettes while watching this show...

I'm not going to talk about everyone, just the ones I love. Oh and let me start with this...mostly because I have no love for him...and I wanted to punch him in his drunk face...Duck, get out of here.
Betty. Sigh. I have no words.  I think I finally saw a glimpse of decency in Pete. Peggy is a badass. In every way possible. Stan...love him too. Stoner dude falls in love with a badass. #heartspopoutofmyeyes. Joan....sweet goodness, I love her. Love! She is the epitome of more than meets the eye. She is bold and brave and follows her heart when she wants to and uses her head when she needs to. Dont forget Roger....classic. I would want to be his best friend and possible partner in crime. And finally...Don Draper. Don, you have been an absolute delight all these years. A delight. I can't even hate you because I am actually in love with you. Strong. Intelligent. Generous. Devastatingly sexy. I would want to be you if I worked for you and I would want to date you no matter what.

That phone call though. Person to Person. It made me hurt for the love Don and Betty had. Good job TV! For the record I was almost equally moved with the phone call scene with Joan and Peggy. Between Joan's amazing glasses and old school Sesame Street playing on the TV, I thought I died and went to retro heaven.

I really wanted Don to get home. He just wasn't moving fast enough and then it hit me. This wasn't about me. He was on a journey. Carry on, Don. It was beyond gratifying to see him break down with such deep hurt and emotions and use it to really clear his brain. We probably could all use that. I can't even stand it that one of my favorite old commercials is tied in with the ending of this kickass show that has invaded our lives for the past 8 years.

I think some people wanted more. I can understand that. I wanted exactly what they gave us. Closure. Joan got her way by doing it her way. Peggy finally found ease. She had it all but was missing that peaceful partner by her side that made it right. That's beauty right there, friends. I joke about relationships and such all the time but that's the real deal....how Peggy and Stan's phone call went. Again, never been a real fan of Pete but I am glad it wasn't too late for him to stop searching.  In the end....these people we have developed such strong feelings for over the years...most of them found happiness.  For such a different time in our world I think Matthew Weiner and everyone involved with Mad Men did an outstanding job telling a brilliant, exciting and edgy story of ad men, women, love, lust, NYC, drinking, and the business world during a time when I wasn't around. Maybe some of it was embellished but I doubt it.

You know what I have? Mad Love for Mad Men. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment