life with the cat lady

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Thanks, Heritage Lake...you made me think!!!

Heritage Lake. OHMG! I haven't been there in 20 years. Yesterday we went to play on the playground and walk around the lake and a flood of memories came rolling in.

Parties, smoking, drinking, making out. I mean I didn't do any of that! Actually I don't really remember making out soooooo....
Then I couldn't stop thinking about all the other dumb (amazing) things we (I) did as a teenager. The Dollhouse....remember hanging out there? That is a strip club in North Carolina so I'm really glad I didn't grow up there.

Field Parties, House Parties, Hotel Parties, Rock Quarry Parties. I wasn't allowed to go to any of these parties yet I was at them all. Sorry, Mom and Dad. You can't hold Jenn Edens back from having a good time. Hanging out with boys I liked or listening to music you didn't approve of (Jane's Addiction). I was GREAT at covering my tracks! As in dusting off rock quarry dust from my car at each stop light on Murlen at 11:30 at night with a friend.

I used to spend the night at my friend Mandy's every Friday so we could go to Club Pirahanna until I got busted. It went like this: I didn't come home one night. My mom forgot I was spending the night. She called my friends mom, she spilled the beans and MY MOM HAD ME PAGED OVER THE LOUD SPEAKER AT THE CLUB!!! "Jennifer Edens, your mother is on the phone!" Well played, Elizabeth, well played. Some of these things I have listed are part of the reason I have such a love affair with SNL. I was grounded most of 1991 -1994.

There was also that one time when my mom was running for Mayor with her hot pink signs all over town. She was at an election meeting and my dad was out of town. She left her car at home and I got the brilliant idea to take it out and pick up my friends. Obvi. I was 14 and had never driven in my life. I killed it. We had a blast driving around and listening to our favorite music....most likely Chicago, Air Supply and Bell Biv Devo, now you know. I mean it seems like I am poison. See what I did there? I blame everyone but me.

The list goes on and on, friends. I was young and wild and free. I am none of those things now. Well I am free. I still hang with a decent portion of the people I grew up with around Olathe and I see them often, thank God. They are me. Who helped make me and will always, always, always be a part of me. I love them. Damn. I would be OK with hitting the redo button though. As long as the only redo is I ended up FAMOUS!!!!

Holding down the fort in O-town and all the love,
Jenn Edens

No comments:

Post a Comment