life with the cat lady

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

You Wanna Be A Loser Like Me!!

May 19th, 2009. The debut of Glee. I had been reading about it and the previews were to die for. Sue Sylvester. Good grief. Will Schuster. The kids. It was all just the best combo of funny, snarky and glorious. It was like Christmas morning and I was 5 again! We have come full circle. This Friday we have to say goodbye. I'm not ready.

A show about show choir? OHMG! It's like I wrote it myself. Singing, dancing, drama and winning trophies!!! #winning. Yet Glee was and still is so much more. It's also about love and kindness. Growing up different. Struggling to fit in when you really didn't need to...you just hadn't found your click. Bullying and teasing never really held any of those kids back. Glee went there. Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk were not afraid. Suicide, being gay, bullying, teen pregnancy, celibacy, acceptance, diversity. Oh and did I mention that JOHN STAMOS was on for like a whole season?? Swoon. #heartspopoutofmyeyes. Then there was the hilarious list of topics they covered like discovering your wife is fake preggers, premature ejaculation, choosing between your boy band and your show choir. Also VERY important topics!

The thing is, it doesn't matter if Glee is serious for the hour or a mix of funny/serious or an hour of complete debauchery...I love it. With all my heart. That's a lot. I can't even imagine where I would be if a Glee Club like that existed when I was in high school. Oh we had a show choir, that sang shitty songs (like rockstars though) and wore dresses that made you look 80! I peaced out in 10th grade to pursue weed. I could say it was to do other activities but I'm gonna keep it real. It wasn't a mistake though. Nothing could take away my passion for music. It's the Holy Grail for me.

From the day it began, Glee touched my soul. Funny, smart and at times, wicked. Glee nights with my dear friends and their littles. Laughing, crying, pausing the show and putting on a performance. No big deal. Oh and shoveling candy into our mouths and discussing topics that may have never come up if we hadn't been watching Glee together! #priceless.

I can't believe it's almost over. I can't believe it's true. I have to say goodbye to one of the loves of my life. Heartbreaking. I'm not ready. I may never be ready. I have barely been able to make it through this season without the ugly cry. Anticipation is a bitch. Every story line. Every song. Every joke. It has truly touched my heart. I don't want to stop knowing what is going on in these people's lives. It was already hard enough to say goodbye to Finn/Cory.

Thank you, Glee. Thank you for being you. Free. Honest. Beautiful. You have made my life. Thank you for preaching it is ok to be different! I know it now but I have struggled with being different most of my life. Not a bad thing. Character building. Oh and it helps point out the asshats of the world quickly. I will miss you so much, Glee. I take this as a loss. Saying goodbye is never easy. I leave you with a quote from one of my favorite original Glee songs...and to all my #gleeks out there...we are forever bonded in the land of pop culture and that is pretty damn cool.

#youwannabealoserlikeme #gleek #glee #LOVE

"Hey, you, over there, keep the "L" up - up in the air. Hey, you, over there, keep the "L" up cause I don't care. You can throw sticks and you can throw stones, like a rocket, just watch me go. Yeah, L-O-S-E-R, I can only be who I are!!!"  -Loser Like Me

All the love,
Jenn Edens

No comments:

Post a Comment